Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Wanted: Page-Turners


I'm sure you've all heard the big news by now: JK Rowling has announced that she is writing a novel for adults. To say I am giddy with excitement would be a severe understatement. Like everyone else in the world, I loved the Harry Potter books, got lost in the stories, wished I were a wizard (yes, as an adult – whatever, don’t pretend you didn’t), marveled at Rowling’s imagination, and hungered for more each time I finished one. I am beyond excited to read her next novel. I'm hoping it’ll captivate me just like Harry Potter did because right now, I am in serious need of a good page-turner.

It’s no secret I love to read. Part of this blog is even dedicated to that passion. I love finding a book I can’t put down, that I think about all day long, and get completely and utterly lost in. I can’t wait to finish it and yet I don’t want it to end. I finish and instantly become depressed. No other book will ever intrigue me like this one. No other book will captivate me like it did. No other book will be as good. But books like this are rare. Say what you will about the Twilight books, they were page turners. I couldn’t stop thinking about them during work, out with friends, while driving. More times than I’d like to admit, I arrived home from the train station not knowing how I had gotten there, because I had been so lost in Twilight daydreams while driving. The same goes for The Hunger Games, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and The Help, to name a few. I’ve read a good number of books since I put those down and have enjoyed many of them, but none have captivated me like those did. So hearing this news about a new Rowling book has me jumping up and down with glee. I have high hopes for Rowling's new book, but in the meantime, I need something else to read. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment